Asterion Ecliptica Light 50 - Platform for 6" to 10" Dobsonians - 47° bis 53° Latitude
A Dobsonian telescope convinces with easy handling. Just set it up and start - pure viewing joy! If it weren´t for this inconvenient pushing and if the object would stay in the field of view even at high magnification.
The EQ platform from Asterion is the solution. Simply put your Dobsonian on the platform, switch on the motor, and now the object stays in the middle of the eyepiece. You can easily observe even at high magnification and fully focus on the object. Even taking pictures of moon and planets becomes possible.
The platform drives your Dobsonian approximately one hour, then it has to be placed back. But that can be done quickly and simply - just lift the telescope a bit and push it back.
The operation of the platform is very easy:
- Set the platform up as horizontal as possible. The built-in spirit level will helb you here. If the ground is soft, you should lay something underneath, to avoid sinking in.
- Align the platform in north-south direction. The drive motor has to face southwards, the circle segment has to point north. A compass or an app on your smartphone is sufficient for alignment.
- Place your Dobsonian on the platform and switch on tracking (N stands for northern hemisphere, S stands for southern hemisphere). Now you can start with observing or photography.
Fields of application of the Dobsonian platform:
- Tracking your Dobsonian telescope (up to 30 kg) for visual observation.
- Also suitable for alt-azimuth-mounted binoculars and spotting scopes. Mount or photo tripod just has to be attached well to the platform.
- Photographing moon and planets is well feasible.
- The platform is not designed for imaging nebulae, star clusters and galaxies. For this purpose, we recommend equatorial mounts, we will be happy to advise you.
General information about the Asterion Ecliptica Platform:
Asterion Ecliptica is a light, compact and easy to use equatorial platform. The telescope is simply placed on the platform. Now you can follow the celestial object for about one hour. At the same time, the full functionality of the Dobsonian mount is maintained. You can move the tube freely by pointing the telescope into different parts of the sky, the tracking will work.
Ecliptica Light is made of durable and moisture resistant plywood. The platform is reinforced with ribs. The aluminium guide rails of the platform roll on mounted steel axles. The electric drive ensures smooth operation, easy set-up and maintenance.
The Ecliptica Light platform allows the use of all common models of Dobsonian telescopes up to 10". A larger telescope can also be mounted if its mechanics are ultra light and meet the required specifications. The most important ones are the height of the center of gravity of the whole telescope and its total mass. However, you can also use photo tripods or small alt-azimuthally mounted telescopes on the platform and enjoy the benefits of tracking.
Scope of Delivery:
- Dobsonian Platform Ecliptica Light
- Electrical drive (batteries user supplied)
Compact and portable equatorial platform - motorized tracking for your Dobsonian telescope and for spotting scopes and cameras on photo tripods - ideal for comfortable observation and even for simple astrophotography.