ZWO USB3.0 Color Astro Camera ASI2400MC-PRO cooled, Sensor D=43.3 mm
ASI2400MC Pro uses Sonys latest back-illuminated IMX410 full-frame format 14-bit ADC sensor. It is a 24MP camera with a big pixel size of 5.94 µm that can accommodate a super large well depth of 100ke.
With the ultra-low readout noise of 1.1e and amazing zero amp-glow, the ASI2400MC Pro is born to be another great innovation of ZWO in the field of full-frame cooled OSC astro cameras.
The "single shot" colour camera offers more comfort than monochrome cameras. Not everyone wants to go through the laborious L-RGB process for beautiful coloured nebula or planet images. The color cameras offer you the possibility to get beautiful pictures without changing filters. In direct comparison to the DSLR camera, the ASI camera convinces with a much higher light sensitivity, a smoother image and significantly more depth. Stars don´t burn out that easy.Further advantages and product features of the ASI 2400MC Pro color camera:
Application areas of the camera:
- USB 3.0 for fast download - can also be used with USB 2.0
- DDR3 memory buffer for stable data transfer with USB2.0 - minimizes frame dropping
- No amplifier glow!
- Powerful Peltier cooling up to 35 °C under ambient conditions
- One of Sony´s most light-sensitive CMOS sensors
- Higher full well by 5.94 µm pixels - ideal for medium-speed sharp telescopes like apochromats, Newtonian telescopes, ...
- Distance T2 connection thread (female thread) to camera sensor: 17.5 mm
- High sensitivity - QE over 80% - ideal astronomy camera for low-light objects
- 14-bit ADC ... you can achieve a depth almost like CCD cameras, but with a much higher sensitivity.
- Deep-sky images (nebulae and galaxies): Due to the high sensitivity, nebulae and galaxies are imaged after only a few seconds. The camera can be cooled up to 35 °C below ambient temperature. This further reduces the already low noise. By raising the GAIN (comparable to the ISO setting for digital SLR cameras), you can reduce exposure times to less than 30 seconds. Effects caused by air turbulence or inaccuracies in the tracking are thus eliminated.
- Moon and planetary images: Extremely short exposure times due to high sensitivity freeze the air turbulence. Due to the large sensor, the entire disc of the moon can be imaged even with a longer focal length telescope. Video astronomy is also possible.
Full-frame OSC camera
The ASI2400MC Pro uses full-frame format, the sensor length and width are 36 mm * 24 mm and the diagonal is 43.3 mm. For now, it only has the OSC version, which is very suitable for beginner astrophotography.IMX410 Backlit Sensor
The back-illuminated CMOS sensor improves sensitivity and noise reduction the key factors to enhancing image quality, while radically realigning their fundamental pixel structure from front-illumination to back-illumination. It has retained the advantages of CMOS image sensors such as low power consumption and high-speed operation.
With a conventional front-illumination structure, the metal wiring and transistors on the surface of the silicon substrate that form the sensors light-sensitive area (photo-diode) impede photon gathering carried out by the on-chip lens. A back-illuminated structure minimizes the degradation of sensitivity to optical angle response, while also increasing the amount of light that enters each pixel due to the lack of obstacles such as metal wiring and transistors that have been moved to the reverse of the silicon substrate.
Large well depth capacity, low read-out noise and high dynamic range
Though these two cameras share very similar pixel sizes (5.94 µm vs 5.96 µm), the well depth capacity of ASI2400MC Pro is 100ke, which is 132% of another full frame ASI camera ASI128MC Pro, so ASI2400MC Pro comes with ultra-high a dynamic range up to 14 stops. Upon that, overexposure probability will be reduced, with richer color gradation gained.Zero amp glow
Traditional CMOS sensors produce a weak infrared light source during operation quite often seen in the corner of uncalibrated images as the tell tale signs of ´amp glow´. As the ASI2400MC Pro uses zero amp glow circuitry, you wont have to worry about amp glow even when using high gain, long exposure imaging.Anti-dew heater integrated
The ASI2400MC Pro comes with the polyimide heater that can avoid any dew problems. The anti-dew heater, which fits completely onto the protective window, heats it up slightly to prevent condensation problems.
The power of the anti-dew heater is approx. 5 W. It can be turned off in the software to save power.QE value
One of the outstanding features of the ASI 2400MC Pro is its sensational light sensitivity. The QE of 80% by the BACK ILLUMINATION technology and the non-existent amplifier glow make the camera very suitable for all astronomical applications, but especially for deep sky astrophotography.
Two-stage TEC cooling: ultra-low dark current
ASI2400MC Pro uses two stage TEC cooling that can lower the CMOS sensor temperature to more that 35 °C below ambient, which can greatly reduce dark current generation and sensor noise even with extended exposure times.
The unique dark current suppression technology can even further reduce dark current noise. When it is cooled to -20 °C, the current noise can be as low as 0.00035e/s/pix, which is completely negligible!Note:
ASI2400 Pro camera requires 1 A current from the USB, if your PC can not provide enough current, please use an external 12 V power supply to power the camera.
USB3.0 & 256 MB DDR3 memory
The ASI2400MC Pro is equipped with a USB 3.0 transmission interface and a built-in 256 MB (2 Gb) DDR3 cache to ensure stable and secure data transmission. Under long exposure, it effectively avoids frame dropping and greatly reduces the glow effect caused by slow reading speed.
Important: external power supply required!
This camera requires 1 amp even in uncooled operation, which is a problem for USB sockets on computers, because they are only rated for 900 mA (0.9 A).
Stable operation of the camera is therefore only possible with an external 12 V power supply.
Optimal support before and after the purchase through APM-Telescopes:
We work with the cameras ourselves and can offer you optimal advice. Which camera fits to your telescope, how do you achieve the optimal adaptation? APM one of the largest ZWO dealers. Through our contacts we also offer the best possible service after the purchase.Practical tip:
Integration of 2" filters, 360° rotation and quick coupling
The camera is often used on correctors that do not have a filter thread. In addition, the filters should always be used as close as possible to the camera. Here we offer you a solution that can do much more.
The adaptation is very simple, the 21 mm adaptation from M54 to M48 is replaced by:
- 2" filter holder directly in front of the camera
- 360° rotation for the right choice of the image section
- Quick release - you can remove the camera from the telescope at any time, without screws and thus entangling the cables
- TSM54a-m48i, TSROTM48-M48 and M48AbstimmA05
The adapter TSM54a-M48i is screwed into the camera. Then the rotator TSRot... Between the M48-M48 adapter with 16.5 mm length, which is included in the delivery, comes the 0.5 mm tuning ring and you are already in the right distance with the camera.
Downloads, drivers:ZW Optical provides software and drivers online for free download.Frequently asked questions about ZWO cameras:The FAQ area is constantly updated by ZWO, here you will find answers to many questions.
ZWO Users ForumManuals for ZWO products:The manuals page is constantly updated by ZWO, here you can find user guides for ZWO products.How to clean my ZWO camera:
The manufacturer provides a manual that covers how to clean an ASI camera and regenerate the desiccant tablets: See below.
Scope of Delivery:
- M48-T2 Adapter (0 mm)
- ASI Quick Guide
- USB 3.0 cable (2 metres)
- M54-M48 adapter (21 mm)
- M48 extension (16.5 mm)
- 2" dust cap
- Hexagon wrench
- 2x USB 2.0 cable (0.5 meter)
Cooled USB 3.0 full-frame size color astro camera with powerful, back-illuminated 36 x 24 mm CMOS sensor with 14 bit for astrophotography