The Starwave 80 EDT-R refractor has a triplet ED lens system with a premium Japanese Hoya FCD-100 ED glass element, with equivalent Abbe number to FPL53. Super-high transmission coating (STM Coating) is used on all air-to-glass surfaces for high contrast. This results in APO level colour correction.
NEW Planostar v2 0.8x reducer is available giving a focal ratio of 4.8 for wide field imaging, ideal for astro cameras like the Hypercam 183C and 269C series. The spacing to sensor is 64.5mm and the rear thread is M48 male.
The focuser is CNC machined with a precision rack and pinion gear. It can be rotated smoothly on Teflon bearings. The focuser end-cap has a 2" self-centering pushfit adapter with stainless steel capstans for easy tightening. A 1.25-2" self-centering pushfit adapter with brass insert is included.
The tube is made from light weight aluminium alloy with CNC machined components including the new lightweight CNC tube rings. A tough matte pearl powder coated tube and hard-anodised fittings give durability and great looks. An aluminium push-fit lens cap and 1.75" dovetail bar completes the package.
The Starwave 80EDT-R can be used for both visual observing and astro-photography with the optional 1x Planostar field flattener. It is possible push the optics to F4.8 using the Planostar 0.8x reducer with careful tilt-alignment and spacing of the camera.
Visual observing with the Starwave 80ED-R: Detail is easily visible on the larger planets such as Jupiter, with both the four principle moons and main cloud belts easily visible at high power. Saturn's rings and thousands of lunar craters, as well as volcanic plains and mountain ranges are all easily visible. Add a high quality Altair Imaging-Ready Solar Wedge or Daystar Quark Hydrogen Alpha solar eyepiece and you have the perfect small aperture solar observing system. The 480mm focal length is ideal for the Daystar Quark, enabling viewing of solar prominences and their development over a few hours. The 80 EDT-R will easliy reveal detail and structure within sunspots with white light solar filters. Viewing bright extended deepsky objects or star-clouds with a low power eyepiece is very rewarding too, with the inherent contrast of a high quality refractor giving objects that visual "pop" against a dark background - something not possible with reflecting telescopes. 2.5" CNC Focuser:
The light weight dual speed CNC 2" Rack and Pinion Geared focuser gives a good balance between lifting power and stability for large eyepieces or cameras. The CNC machined focuser has a 2" rear accessory port with a zero-flex 3 thumbscrew compression ring and a "Self Centering" 2"-1.25" adapter with compression ring and dust plug. Unlike cheaper cast metal focusers, the 2.5" Rack and Pinion CNC machined can be rotated relative to the optical tube. The CNC machined focuser holds alignment better during rotation, due to better machining tolerances, which is a desirable feature for both imaging and visual use. Finder scopes:
The optional Altair 60mm RACI (Right angle Correct Image) finder-scope or the Starwave RDF (Red Dot Finder) both have a quick release bracket which fits the focuser holes provided, and is left on the focuser, so you can keep it aligned for quick setup. You can use the Starwave RACI 60mm Guide Scope for long exposure imaging with an equatorial mount in "straight through" mode with the Miniguider precision focucer (code ) or you can buy the finder scope with a straight-through helical focuser which enables a camera such as Altair GPCAM to be used directly for guiding and polar alignment with SharpCap PRO software. Grab 'n go portability:
The Starwave 80 EDT-R is a great "grab 'n go" portable telescope-kit for visual observing or astro-photography. The telescope is about the same size as a large telephoto camera lens, however it has better Bokeh, because it doesn't have aperture diaphragm blades. The lens produces purer colour correction than most APO photographic lenses costing several times the price, especially zoom lenses, because the optics are optimised for only one focal length.
Mounting the Starwave 80 EDT-R on a camera tripod: Attaching the telescope to a photo or video tripod mount can be done by adding a 1/4" photo thread screw through the holes in the provided dovetail-bar. A photo-tripod is perfect for grab and go visual astronomy, digi-scoping and use as a terrestrial spotting scope with superior astro-eyepieces. Astro telescopes usually have higher quality optics than spotting scopes, however they display a reversed, upside down image, which is perfectly acceptable for night-time viewing but not for daytime use. To use your 80 EDT-R as a spotting scope, simply plug in the Altair Lightwave 45 degree erect image prism diagonal and add an eyepiece. which produces an upright, correctly orientated image. There are few if any spotting scopes which perform like an triplet ED astronomy refractor in terms of colour correction and sharpness at high powers.
Mounting the Starwave 80 EDT-R to an astro-mount: Most GOTO mounts which support 1.75" "Vixen/Synta-format " dovetails will fit the included dovetail bar directly. Starwave 80 EDT-R Specifications & Features:
- Optical tube with air-spaced 80mm F6 Triplet ED lens system (480mm focal length)
- Hoya FCD100 ED (SD) glass element and mating elements housed in a precision adjustable CNC machined lens cell with temperature compensation interleaving.
- Super-high transmission coating (STM Coating) on all air to glass surfaces.
- Resolving Power (Dawes Limit) 1.45 arc seconds
- Visual Limiting Magnitude 12.2 maximum
- Weight approx. 3kg, OTA length with dewshield retracted, 39cm.
- Precision CNC machined components and tube made from light, tough aluminium alloy with matte powder coat and hard anodising.
- Retractable lens shade / dew shield.
- 2.5" "Rack 'n Pinion" Geared dual speed focuser with 1:10 micro-focuser.
- Entire focuser rotates relative to the optical tube for easy photographic composition.
- Teflon tension-adjustment screws and Teflon collet ensure focuser rotates smoothly.
- Self-Centering 2" to 1.25" reducer with brass compression rings included.
- Front aluminium push-fit lens cap, rear plastic 1.25" dust plug.
- Standard 1.75" dovetail bar with stainless steel M6 cap-head screws included.
- Tube Rings with M6 threaded holes with 30mm spacing, compatible with Altair and most other mounting dovetail plates and bars.
- Hard Carry Case with foam insert, handle and keys. Case Dimensions 22cm Width x 45cm Length x 17.5cm Depth
Scope of Delivery:
- Optical Tube
- 2x Tuberings
number to FPL53.