Sky Quality Meter-LU-DL-V
An affordable USB enabled vector data-logging light-meter for continual, connected or autonomous measuring sky brightness for astronomers! The "Sky Quality Meter-LU-DL-V" measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond with unprecedented sensitivity in a handheld meter!
Measuring the night sky brightness during remote field experiments
- Find out how good the night or site really is.
Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
Document the evolution of light pollution in your area.
Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest fuzzies'!
Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the Bortle Scale.
Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
CCD users can make a correlation between the SQM reading and when the background reaches some ADC level.
Sky brightness displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
Infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to visual bandpass.
Temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as model number and serial number can be displayed with different button press sequence.
Precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Field-upgradeable firmware
- All the features of the SQM-LU (USB model) plus data logging capabilities and vector measurements of altitude and azimuth (built-in accelerometer/compass module)
Open protocol document.
- USB connectivity
- Included applications for reading data in Perl.
The Half Width Half Maximum (HWHM) of the angular sensitivity is ~10°.
- The sensitivity to a point source ~19° off-axis is a factor of 10 lower than on-axis.
Maximum light sampling time: 80 seconds.
- Minimum light sampling time: 1 seconds.
The compass readings are very sensitive to any nearby hard and soft iron. The unit works well by hand operation.
There is a slight magnetic offset (pinched and stretched at ≈±5° in some directions) due to internal components which have yet to be compensated for in the software, but the compensation is planned for a future release.
The lens/filter arrangement has been improved over our standard "L" models.
Sky Quality Meter-LU-DL-V
- Users manual
- 15ft USB cable
- Battery-to-USB adapter with 4 AA cells and battery holder
- Calibration sheet indicating calibration values
A USB enabled vector data-logging SQM model for continous or autonomous night-time sky brightness monitoring